Tuesday, January 26, 2010

God bless Atlantic Avenue.

Is it normal to like grocery shopping as much as I do? One of my greatest joys in life is perusing the aisles, even if I don't buy a damn thing. Think of it as vicarious eating.

Last weekend's adventures took me to Sahadi's and Damascus Bread + Pastry. Short of living on Steinway in Astoria, you're not going to find a better selection of Middle Eastern goodies in NYC. Where to begin?

Sahadi's assortment of dried fruits and nuts is overwhelming. I purchased low-sugar mango slices, cinnamon almonds and spicy mango, see below:

Very weird, but amazing nonetheless.

Perhaps the most exciting find was mouhammara, which is a spicy walnut, pomegranate and red pepper spread that I find any excuse to use. I like to think of it as a more interesting hummus. Hummus is Jennifer Aniston, mouhammara is Angelina Jolie. Angelina wins, always.


I also bought Turkish delights and Maamoul, a Saudi date cookie. Almost everything has been devoured.....shhh, don't tell anybody.

A few doors down at Damascus, I was thrilled to find this offer:

Do you see that?!?!? $1 samboosak!!! I picked up a few cheese ones, which were delightfully flaky with a cheese that was just a little bit tangy. I think I tasted dill, but it was also very reminiscent of labneh. Additionally, I opted for a whole-wheat phyllo spinach and feta pie.

(spinach pie on left, samboosak on right - note the cheese oozing out)

Surprisingly, the whole wheat phyllo didn't infuriate me the way whole wheat pasta does (stop kidding yourselves, people - that ish tastes like cardboard). The pie was extra lemon-y, just the way I like it. Lemon is an excellent way to brighten up even frozen spinach and temper the saltiness of the feta.

Sahadi's
187 Atlantic Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Damascus Bread + Pastry Shop
195 Atlantic Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Visit, shop, blow your entire paycheck. Tell 'em Hungry Brooklyn sent you. No, really, I want them to love me and lavish me with foodstuffs. No shame in my game.

1 comment:

  1. Mouhammara (Jolie definitely wins) and Samboosak sounds pretty good. I wouldn't mind buying a jar of M. and spreading it across some grilled italian sausage and see what it taste like.

    ReplyDelete